Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Spices for Life



Growing up I remember being in the kitchen, forced most times, helping my mom prepare meals for our family. I always remember her telling me to get a piece of cooking meat out of the fridge to put in a pot of boiling water. I asked her why she did this, and she said because it flavors the veggies. As I grew up and began preparing my own pots of cabbages, greens, green beans, etc. I also went into the fridge for that piece of cooking meat. I am in no way saying that using cooking meat is wrong or should be banned. I am trying to make improvements in all areas of my life and wanted to find other ways to flavor my foods.

The only “spices” that were a consistent in my house were Italian seasoning, season salt, salt and pepper. Our foods were always tasty, but I knew that there was more to flavoring foods than just that.  So I went on a hunt, kind of, to find alternatives. Well, as I was hunting, my friend was moving, and she gave me her spice rack. It had spices I had never heard of such as crushed mint, anise, whole allspice, cumin seed, coriander etc. I will go ahead and admit I am still “hunting” and haven’t tried all of these spices. I will also admit that sometimes I surf the web for best practices on such topics, but this time, I just wanted to try random spices.

I have started to bake instead of fry my fish and decided to try a few spices, bad idea! The first time I did used my new spices I put crushed mint, thyme, savory and Mrs. Dash. My fish was just filled with spice and didn’t taste good. I have since learned that when I’m trying a new spice to add one at a time to see if I like the taste. My mom now asks me to be the sole season-er for meats. I am still on the hunt for best practices for seasoning veggies besides my all-time favorite “spice” Mrs. Dash.

Since I wanted to write about spices, I have started “hunting” on the internet for best practices and top spices for overall health. I wanted to share those with you. Here are a few spices that receive rave reviews for various reasons:




Health Benefits
Great if used on
How to Select
How to Store
Ginger
Anti-inflammatory, great for digestion, treats nausea, gastrointestinal relief
Curries, vegetables, teas,marinades, juices
Firm, smooth & free of mold; if purchasing dried spice choose organically grown
Refrigerate for up to 3 weeks; Unpeeled in freezer for up to 6 months
Turmeric
Anti-fungal & Anti-bacterial properties; Anti-inflammatory; lowers cholesterol
Curries, Lentils, Rice, Vegetables
Found as dried spice-choose organically grown
Turmeric powder-cool, dark, dry place; Fresh can be refrigerated
Cinnamon
Anti-oxidant, blood sugar control, anti-clotting actions
Cakes, Pastries, Chicken, Lamb, Curries
Sticks can be stored longer, but powder is stronger flavor
Keep in cool, dark, dry place;
Good for up to 6 months;
If it doesn’t smell sweet discard
Garlic
Lowers blood pressure, reduce cholesterol, anti-inflammatory, improve iron metabolism
Breads, Vegetables, Salad dressings, Meats, Vegetables, Soups, Sauces
Purchase fresh, firm
Keep in cool, dry, dark place;
Good for up to 1 month
Written by Belinda Phelps

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin